Sunday, October 24, 2010

New York State living



When browsing the interweb this week I came across a little delight in the US Tri-state area (New York, New Jersey, Connecticut- for those of you who don't know or aren't obsessed with American living). This particular gem is in New York State, now that just made my heart flutter! Doesn't it make you think of Charlotte Yorks' dreams of living 'upstate', pruned rosebushes, green-grass trimmed down to the millimeter, white picket fences and more bedrooms than Mr & Mrs Jones know what to do with??



This house doesn't quite fit the suburban dream (a la Desperate Housewives), it's more 'old money' than new. The exterior is an exquisite Georgian stone mansion, the interior is beautiful; from the mahogany library to the roof detailing but (yes there is a but), I can't help but think how I would decorate differently! I find the colour palette so uninviting and outdated, of course it is impractical to update every so often but a house of this caliber deserves the very best finishes and I don't think it's been done justice!




Never the less this house impresses and leaves us all dreaming and salivating! Although this 20,000 ft home in New Town, Chappaqua looks old school, it was actually built in 2004 (by people with an amazing eye for historical architecture!).



I just adore the outdoor pool area, oh the parties I would have in that summer house!



The home boasts 6 Bedrooms, 9 baths and 3 half baths (why so many??), including living and dining rooms there are an impressive 20 rooms all up!




Love this room- hate that carpet!




Does anyone actually live in this room? Bed centered and drapes that remind me of a nursing home!




They have an indoor & outdoor basketball court AND a tennis court. Not to mention the media room, lake, cellar and of course the two story library I've already mentioned.




I would paint this entire room cream, including the roof and exposed beams.




Why green? Why? This shade, alongside the grey bench-tops just screams bad taste!




again with the green, please people!




This final shot reminds me of a Stepford wives home...a bit eerie out there on 87 acres!

While it is nice to see people experiment with colour in a beige type of neighbourhood, I feel that the choices have detracted from artworks, features and detailing which are paramount to a house such as this in retaining it's stature as a stately home!

With an asking price of $27,500,000 the buyer can expect monthly mortgage payments of just under $150,000 (More than the annual salary of 99% of the population). I cannot even comprehend being in a position to consider this house for purchase! It's fun to real estate stalk though!

Sources: New York Times, Houlihan Lawrence Real Estate

4 comments:

  1. isn't it funny how such large homes, and such gawdy colours sometimes (meaning the green!) but mostly beautiful lavish fittings, that kitchen is amazing! and an indoor basketball court??? wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us, I always learn something new in your message! Excellent article. I wish I could write so well.
    luxury houses for sale uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plush life, and rocking living. I am all eager to come there NY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, This Post is very much relevant and Informatics. I was in search of such kinda stuff. So, I like this, what You have shared. Thanks a lot ,,. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. I don't mind constructive criticism but if you cannot be polite to me and others you will no longer be welcome. be cool.