Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Perigord, France

The best thing about Christie's Great Estates are their affiliate websites. It takes hours to search for the Realtor in a little town an hour from Venice/Bordeaux/Bristol/wherever. Now, thanks to this link, I am able to find a whole new world of properties to ogle! I came across an Agent, Maxwell-Storrie-Baynes, who are selling a whole range of AH-mazing properties (which I will feature throughout the coming weeks), but today I want to show you 'Perigord'.




A true country cottage! This restored 17th century manor rests on 3.5 hectares of riverside grounds and parkland.




The main house features 4 living rooms, 2 kitchens, 9 bedrooms (7 with en suites) & 2 studies.



Attached to the main house is an annex containing 2 separate suites (perfect for a retreat or the parents)




 Even the poolhouse has a bedroom & bathroom! Summer day's in Bordeaux- if only!




I mostly posted this house because of the exterior, but this little room makes me think of french Lord of the Rings (I think it's just the round window...) the tiled flooring and stone walls against the heavenly soft cream drapes blowing in the summer afternoon breeze is so beautiful like an elf might just walk in...




These paddle boats are reminiscent of Jane Austen novels, girls in white dresses and men in morning suits, trying ever so hard not to capsize the boat! I could imagine a day of drinking wine and eating cheese (while some dashing man rows the boat of course!)




This is the first time I have seen a louis XV chair used in context rather than as a 'design element', don't get me wrong I love the Louis XV chair, it's just nice to see a classical home where I can imagine Marie Antionette spending her weekends!




What I love the most about this home is the whimsical nature. So many films come to mind; Wind in the Willows, Pride and Prejudice, Marie Antoinette, Lord of the Rings. This is worlds apart from the homes I am usually drawn to, but never the less, it is a home filled with character, history and adventure waiting to happen! Maybe that's why I love it so much- the promise of adventure!

What do you love about this house? Does it remind you of anything?

Sources: Maxwell-Storrie-Baynes,

4 comments:

  1. Oh! Ah! Can that be real?? It looks so idealic. Wow! One can dream.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your site through MM (completely agree with you about the Nutella derbarcle BTW!) Really stylish and great for home/design addicts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Serena! I had to leave the site, I was getting so frustrated! glad you like my blog! It's only a baby and I'm REALLY bad at posting frequently, but I try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely. I like the garden work. it is really amazing

    ReplyDelete

Please keep it nice. I don't mind constructive criticism but if you cannot be polite to me and others you will no longer be welcome. be cool.